It’s no secret that seniors are at a greater risk for injury than other age groups. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that the number of people suffering from chronic conditions like diabetes and heart disease increases with age, which leads to more falls and injuries. One in three 65-year-olds has experienced a fall within the past year. These statistics make it essential to consider how your senior loved one can remain safe inside their home.
Here are some tips on how you can senior-proof your home:
- Remove clutter from walkways and stairs. A cluttered walkway (or anywhere else in the house) can lead to trips and falls.
- Check the flooring in your home for slippery spots like oil stains or wet carpets.
- Ensure lighting is adequate throughout all areas of the home that they use frequently—especially bathrooms and kitchens, where wet floors can be a hazard. It’s essential to get rugs and mats for any of the more hazardous areas.
- Heavy objects should be stored at knee height. As seniors may not be able to lift heavy objects very easily.
- Make sure all stairs have handrails and that no one is ever on an upper floor without a way to get down.
Are you currently looking for in-home care services in Riverside County? Helping Hands Senior Foundation is here to help.
We will help you find a certified and dependable provider of in-home care services for your senior loved one. Our care coordination assistance can help you find resources for long-term senior care options.
We guarantee that everyone, even low-income seniors, will receive the best care with compassion and sensitivity.